I took advantage of the warm weather (20F/-7C, yeah!) to snap some outside pics. My usual photo spot is buried in 4 foot drifts, so I chose the driveway which, alas, was too sunny.
I'm going to assume you're thinking about my new dress and not making any snarky remarks about the correlation between the snow and my complexion.
This is Deer and Doe's Sureau Dress (sureau = elderberry). The bodice is gathered to a faux button placket. A zip is in the side seam. The skirt is also gathered.
I took the time to do a real muslin of the bodice (something I rarely do) and worked on some general fit issues I've been wanting to tackle. So, my list of standard bodice adjustments grew longer, blech, but they are all very simple to do. The amazing thing is that a tiny adjustment can make such a huge difference in fit.
In case you're interested, I improved my square shoulder adjustment (thanks Jen!) and added a small rounded upper back adjustment. Do you see the diagonal drag lines running from the back neck to the underarm? Well, they were much worse. Only now that I see the back bodice in a photo (and not just in the mirror) do I see I could increase my adjustment a little. (Edited to add a link. I slashed horizontally across the very upper back, added at the center back, tapering to 0 at the armscye. Here's a more complicated version of what I did: Rounded Upper Back Alteration. Type "pattern alteration" into the search engine in this resource for excellent illustrated instructions for other adjustments.)
As for the dress itself, I'm very pleased with it. After my usual fit adjustments, it fits great and is super comfortable.
I did make 4 changes to the pattern:
1. raised the neckline almost 2", which had the side effect of altering the neckline shape a little
2. did a 1" anti-gaping tuck in the upper bodice
3. flattened the sleeve cap (see photo below)
4. lined the skirt since I used a lawn
In future, I will lengthen the skirt a tad (I'm 5'4".) I used a hem facing to get this length.
Look to my sidebar on the left for a tutorial on flattening your sleeve cap (aka removing the ease), but this photo shows what I cut off. The difference in fit between the altered and unaltered is negligible, but one is more pleasant to sew.
Oh, and yes, I did make one of those ubiquitous Plantain t-shirts, also from Deer and Doe.