Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

Jeans for the Boy


Alex has been begging me to make him jeans for about six months. I've been gearing myself up for them, but in reality they weren't any more challenging than some of the other boys' pants I've done. The addition of the coin pocket and the rivets make them the real thing.
I used Ottobre's "Guitar Jeans" pattern from 4-2008-28, but slimmed it by two sizes. This is kid is solid, but very straight and narrow. Unfortunately, I may still need to open up the back waistband and add some elastic so they don't keep inching down.
This is a slim-fitting jeans pattern anyway, which I was looking for. Ottobre's patterns seem to be a little looser fitting in general.


This was my first try at rivets, and after the first one went in backwards and got mangled in the process, I gave my husband a shot at it. He did three and showed me how incredibly easy it is. I was trying too hard, I guess. His method: make a hole with the seam ripper. Poke the stem through. Place the base onto the stem by hand. Squeeze with snap pliers. This worked well even though I didn't have any sort of rivet tool.
.
I searched all over the internet for jeans rivets. I finally found some small packages of them locally at Mary Jo's Cloth Store.
.
Grommet Mart (love that name!) also sells packages of 100 pieces for about $13.

Slimming the pants as much as I did moved the coin pocket over almost to the side seam. I'll have to remember to compensate for that in the future.
The pockets seem so low. I guess that's how they make 'em these days. (Or, in this case, that's how I make 'em.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry to add word verification. Too much spam lately....

 

©2009 21 Wale | by TNB