I made another pair of these "Neat Beat" pants for Grace this time, but had to downsize the pattern to size 98. She was so pleased that she tackled me with a hug and knocked me over when I knelt down to help her try them on.
The fabric is a really nice stretch pinwale cord from fabric.com. But I'm thinking I'll need to stop using pinwale corduroy for pants, seeing as these pants aren't holding up too well in the knees.
2 jerseys and 1 cotton lycra. The offensively bright one on the left was Alex's choice. I couldn't decide between a couple of nice jerseys and called him in to the computer to help me decide. He spotted this one and fell in love. However, I've since seen the same red and blue stripe made up by someone else into a nice hoodie, so I think it'll turn out all right.
Alex has been begging me to make him jeans for about six months. I've been gearing myself up for them, but in reality they weren't any more challenging than some of the other boys' pants I've done. The addition of the coin pocket and the rivets make them the real thing.
I used Ottobre's "Guitar Jeans" pattern from 4-2008-28, but slimmed it by two sizes. This is kid is solid, but very straight and narrow. Unfortunately, I may still need to open up the back waistband and add some elastic so they don't keep inching down.
This is a slim-fitting jeans pattern anyway, which I was looking for. Ottobre's patterns seem to be a little looser fitting in general.
This was my first try at rivets, and after the first one went in backwards and got mangled in the process, I gave my husband a shot at it. He did three and showed me how incredibly easy it is. I was trying too hard, I guess. His method: make a hole with the seam ripper. Poke the stem through. Place the base onto the stem by hand. Squeeze with snap pliers. This worked well even though I didn't have any sort of rivet tool.
I searched all over the internet for jeans rivets. I finally found some small packages of them locally at Mary Jo's Cloth Store.
Grommet Mart (love that name!) also sells packages of 100 pieces for about $13.
Slimming the pants as much as I did moved the coin pocket over almost to the side seam. I'll have to remember to compensate for that in the future.
The pockets seem so low. I guess that's how they make 'em these days. (Or, in this case, that's how I make 'em.)