Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Trying to Earn My Stripes

Well, this top was a quick, gratifying venture after the week-long pants. I decided to use my basic t-shirt block/sloper, which I drafted from instructions in Metric Pattern Cutting for Womenswear. I changed the neckline to a boatneckish shape and made the sleeves 3/4 length. I was going to put in side vents, but ended up skipping that when I serged down the sides. I wish I had the side vents, though, since this interlock isn't stretchy like the jerseys I used for my first two drafts from this block, and some more ease at the hem would be good so it wouldn't bunch up at the waist.

I turned under and coverstitched the front and back necklines before stitching the shoulder seams, instead of doing a binding. I've never read instructions for that method of construction before, but in this case....there are no instructions!

With a little more ease at the hipline, I think I'll be satisfied with this sloper/block for stable knits. I like the amount of ease and the shoulder fit is good. Funny...I didn't like the fit so much with the slinkier, lycra knit even though I used the same block.


3 comments:

  1. Fun tee. The stripes work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent wardrobe staple. I like the idea of finishing the neck before the shoulder seams.
    I find knits always need tweaking - every fabric seems to behave differently, even for the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this (ahoy!). I'm finding it more and more that fabric really does make the garment, now that I'm sewing from a drafted block. I mean, I know exactly how much ease is in each pattern, and yet one fabric gives such dramatically different results! Sort of scary in a way, because for me, I haven't figured out how to determine what those results are necessarily going to be.

    me me me... me.

    Sorry. I do like this top a lot!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry to add word verification. Too much spam lately....

 

©2009 21 Wale | by TNB