These rompers remind me of my ancient Raggedy Ann doll I have stashed away somewhere. All my girls need are some red and white striped tights.
My husband thought I made them clown outfits. Ha ha. Actually, this is how it went... When he came home from work, Sara walked into the room and he said, "Wait, I thought Grace was wearing that." "No, I made them each one." "You made them both clown suits?" I guess we've moved to a new stage of sewing. I've stopped proudly showing him everything I make straight off the sewing machine. He's stopped fawning with amazement over everything I've made. Reality sets in (:
Anyway, I'm not so fond of how the front bib part of these turned out. It looks awkwardly low and you can see that the pleated portions above the straps pouf out, even though I tacked them down. The straps button to some button tabs stitched on the inside. However, I think the romper works better on the proportions of a 4 year old than of a 6 year old.
I do think the back view is pretty cute, though. The back waist has about six lines of shirring. I stitched these with elastic thread in the bobbin like usual, but even six rows did little to gather the fabric. However, I held my steaming iron over it, and it shriveled up tight - as you can see in the picture. That was my ironing fun for the day! The ankles are shirred as well.
I think I'd like the front better if the top edge were about four inches higher.
More pleats on the patch pockets.
Pattern: Ottobre 4-2010-19 (Vahvero Linen Romper)
Fabric: Poplin made to look like linen made to look like denim from Fabric.com.