I feel like I've had a slow start to the year, this being only the second garment I've made myself. Sewing for birthdays or "occasions" interrupts my normal wardrobe sewing and makes my brain disorganized.
That being the case, I'm glad to report a success with one of Jalie's most recent patterns. I'd be even happier if I hadn't stained the shirt twice already, but maybe I'll just have to make another one soon.
It's more than a typical hoodie because it has nice shaping and doesn't look like a bulky sweatshirt. The hood is fairly large and comes farther forward than you'd expect because it's built into the v-neckline.
I stitched one size larger than the size indicated by my measurements, and I'm glad I did because of the weight of the fabric (interlock with some stretch). If I used a stable interlock or sweatshirting, I might even go up another size. For a t-shirt weight, I'm sure it'd be fine in my regular size. But, gee, do I really want to trace three sizes?
The tunic has a number of options:
-hood or banded v-neck
-3/4 or short sleeve
-tunic or long tunic length
-with or without pocket
-oh, I almost forgot there's a nursing panel option, which isn't on my radar
I lengthened the sleeves to full length, adding maybe 5 inches. I just used another sleeve pattern to compare. The "estimate" method hasn't always worked for me in the past (:
What you see is the shorter length. The longer version would be really long. I like the length I have now, but might try it shorter, too, particularly for a short sleeve version.
One drawback to using a wimpier-than-sweatshirting fabric is that the kangaroo pocket feels less sturdy and putting my hands in really pulls the shirt down. This fabric wanted to ripple when I stitched the kangaroo pocket in place, so it might be a good idea to interface for certain fabrics.
Lilac interlock knit with some give to it: Mill End Textiles