In my last post, I threatened to foist upon you some abominable photos featuring a tucked-in shirt. Good sense (and vanity) got the better of me and I recommissioned the photo shoot. These are a vast improvement, trust me.
These pants are from the much-acclaimed Lisette Portfolio pattern, although I've seen many many more tunics from the pattern made up than the trousers.
I was surprised they fit as well as they did, since I've never made a non-vintage Simplicity pattern for myself and didn't know what to expect. Since I usually make Burdastyle pants and sometimes Ottobre, I'll use those as a reference for my fit analysis.
1. With both Burdastyle and Ottobre, I have to flatten out the outseam/upper thigh curve, otherwise the sides stick out like oompa loompa pants. I think this is a posture issue. Anyway, it seems these were even roomier, as I had to remove more than an inch at the outseam, which is tricky to do neatly when you have a zipper in the side seam. (Note I installed the zipper after adjusting the side seams.)
2. The crotch curve is different (shallower?). If I make these again (or any other pants pattern for that matter) I will save myself the fitting trouble and just trace the curve from a previously used pattern. Why reinvent the
3. The size chart is off as numerous reviewers have pointed out. I'll refrain from telling you what I think about inaccurate charts. But, I ended up sewing one size smaller than my measurements indicated and definitely wouldn't have wanted to go smaller unless I had a fairly stretchy fabric.
Otherwise I'm okay with the fit. I know I'll sometimes miss having pockets. And it's a shame that the neat button feature won't be overly visible unless I make some shorter shirts.
Lisette Portfolio 2245
Cotton gabardine (yum!) from Mill End Textiles.