Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hooded Paisley and 1977

I've been doing loads of cooking, utility sewing, and planning all in preparation for our trip. Regular blog participation will resume post-trip. But I did make something frivolous to just squeeze into PR's Vintage Pattern Contest deadline.

It has a hood. It's paisley. And the pattern hails from 1977. 1977 was a big year for me - learning to walk, talk, grasp small objects between my thumb and forefinger, things like that.

Despite studying (and drooling over) the pattern envelope so much, I was caught totally unawares that this "dress" is more of "poncho" style. Hello side view!!!

Actually, the pattern includes optional gussets, but the bodice was still gapey enough to require a shirt underneath, so I decided to leave them off altogether.

Funny, though, the gussets are meant to attach with snaps, making them truly optional. Keep them in your purse, and if you're chilled by a "gusset" of wind, pull out your gussets and snap them in place!
The side seams are stitched to just below the waist, and the waist ties cinch the dress shut. I really could stitch the dress up further -to mid-bodice - and it wouldn't be too tight. (Yeah, you can see some of the white bias tape seam finish sticking out.)

I love the dress except for the back view. Maybe that part would be improved by stitching up the side seams further?

I do like the end result. It'll be fun for summer. But needing to wear a shirt underneath makes it not quite the sundress I had envisioned.

My evil Morgana look.

I think this is the first envelope pattern I've made myself, not counting the sweatshirt I made in 7th grade in school. (That was so long ago, I have NO memories of making it! Or maybe I'm selectively blocking memories from that era, I don't know.)

Because of the shape (or shapelessness) I felt comfortable making it straight out of the envelope, even cutting into my lovely paisley lawn. I did a slight square shoulder adjustment in the seam allowances, which was unnecessary, it appears.

I interlined the whole thing with a poly/cotton batiste. I think I'll stay away from cheap poly/blend batiste in the future. Let's just say it doesn't have the same melting point as cotton lawn!



1977 Simplicity 7927.
 

©2009 21 Wale | by TNB