Throwing conventional wisdom to the wind, I have decided to make an entire outfit out of horizontal stripes!
Now, if you want a quick-gratification project, this would be it. I purchased the pattern online, and it was in my email to download instantly (the quickest pdf delivery I've experienced). As for the sewing, it's just about as fast as making a t-shirt.
I make a lot of my knit shirts using my sloper/block because I've tweaked it to death and like the fit pretty well. I've been mulling over modifying that into all variety of t-shirt dresses. So, when I saw this pattern release I did think, "I could just add a skirt to my existing t-shirt pattern." It's true, I could. But I did like the look of this dress and I like to support indie pattern makers occasionally...so the rest is history.
I did muslin the bodice first. I fell in between sizes on the measurement chart and since there's negative ease I thought it'd be good to make sure there wasn't too much negative ease. And since I always do major shoulder/armscye adjustments, I had to check the baseline.
I made the muslin out of a goofy assortment of knit scraps. When my 9yo daughter saw the "shirt" sitting around the next day, she was scared that I'd made her an ugly shirt.
Amazingly, the shoulder and arms fit perfectly. That never happens, ha! The bodice was too tight, so I cut the next size up for the real thing.
In the end, I was able to make a dress straight from the pattern with no adjustments. Neat.
The fabric: 2 yards cotton/lycra jersey from Chez Ami
The pattern: The Lady Skater (to differentiate it from the girls' skater dress also offered) from Kitschy Coo.