Pages

Friday, January 23, 2015

Bruyère Deux


Here's my second go at Deer and Doe's Bruyere Shirt. The fabric appears to be a lovely red chambray and seemed perfect for an interesting button-up shirt. Unfortunately, all the cutting, stitching and pressing revealed it to be a melty fraying mess. After several washes, it has been holding up fine, though, so that's something.

Although I made some small bodice fit changes for the second version, I still have some drag lines in the back, more visible in the solid red than in the seersucker (see the seersucker version here).

In a future version, I may try a dress length instead.

On my second time through the pattern, I noticed how much I did not follow the instructions the first time around (which is, incidentally how I follow recipes, much to my husband's amusement). The directions are 'clever' and I used standard shirt-making techniques. I did omit the front facing intentionally.








I made these jeggings to go underneath: jeans weren't quite right. Leggings weren't quite right. I think these are a good compromise.

They are "Lampi Jeggings (Ottobre 5-2014-13). The pattern includes a leggings version, which is the same except without the pockets and fake fly. I omitted the front pockets for this pair.



Sunday, January 11, 2015

Stats for Your Inner Nerd: Version 2014


2014 was a slower sewing year than the previous three. Sewing is like economics, I guess. I can't expect continuous growth. There has to be a recession in there occasionally.

In 2014, I sewed: 155 items, using 144.1 yards of fabrics.

By comparison:
2013: 190 items; 172 yards
2012: 169 items: 154 yards
2011: 166 items; 174 yards
2010: 117 items; 129 yards
2009: 125 items (no yardage count, due to primitive data collection efforts)


And here are the graphs to be perused at your geeky leisure:
























Friday, January 2, 2015

Last Garments of the Old Year





Post-Christmas, I stitched up a few cozy items for Molly. She ends up wearing a few select comfortable favorites from her closet every.single.day, which I've become weary of seeing. Plus, they're really too shabby for public viewing.

I used my trusty Kitschy Coo Skater Dress pattern for the two dresses. Molly chose some beloved fabrics from stash.  The fox fabric didn't live in stash for long, unsurprisingly!

The brown floral jersey is from Chez Ami and the fox print is from Girl Charlee.








The tunic is remake of an out-grown, holey garment: The Hilda Hooded Dress (Ottobre 6-2007-27) out of some heavy and firm interlock jersey from Chez Ami (weird fabric, difficult to use).



I lined the hood for a cleaner finish and some interest.



And these leggings are probably the simplest pattern I own: Lily Leggings (Ottobre 6-2007-28). One pattern piece means no outseams.

The red jersey leggings shown above are from this pattern as well.

Here, I used a very stretchy denim, but stitched them with some extra ease, which seems to have been a good choice.




 

©2009 21 Wale | by TNB